Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 600 volt services

  1. #1
    Inactive Member watts45's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2003
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Was wondering why in the united states they don't use 600/347 volt services. Any ideas?
    Also is teck cable use in the united states?
    Thought I would ask some questions that I have been wondering about for a long time.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner electric-ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2001
    Posts
    191
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I put your question to some of the guys on an American discussion board like this one. Only one of them had ever seen a 600/347 volt system, and it was at a lumber mill in Washington State, just across the border from BC.

    They have a very similar cable, but it is called MC, meaning metal clad.

    Ed

  3. #3
    Inactive Member chrisd's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2002
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think it is a utility standard. For some reason the 600/347 is more compatible with the distribution grids we have. Utilities save money through a lower investment in transformers and other equipment. BC hydro will no longer provide any LV service other than 240 1 ph or 600/347 3 ph
    .
    I have wondered why they chose 600/347 though. All equipment has to be custom made for Canada.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •